These were really easy to make and a huge hit at our house. They were devoured! They are a bit more on the cakey side than the macaroons I used to make, but they are still really yummy and I almost think I prefer them! Really easy to whip together! They do have a lot of sugar and butter, so I might try to find a healthier substitute, but here it is for now!
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup coconut flour
2 cups shredded sweetened coconut*
(optional) 3 oz (6 squares) dark chocolate**
(optional) 1 teaspoon coconut oil
– Preheat oven to 375 degrees
– Mix together butter, sugar, vanilla and eggs. Stir in salt, flour and coconut until combined.
– Using a small cookie scoop, scoop out macarons onto a greased pan.
– Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
– (optional) Microwave dark chocolate and coconut oil in 25 second increments until melted, stirring after each time. Drizzle over macaroons.
You can certainly enjoy these without the chocolate, but the chocolate is a must for me! Especially when it’s dark chocolate! I add the coconut oil to thin out the chocolate to make it easy to drizzle. You could also use butter or shortening if you don’t have coconut oil on hand.
Makes about 2 dozen
Adapted from Trader Joe’s
*Shredded coconut is a great item for gluten free diets, but cross contamination can be possible in manufacturing, Just be sure to check the label if you are particularly sensitive.
**Some chocolate is not gluten free, again, just check the label. The dark chocolate I bought was organic, gluten free from Trader Joe’s
Wildflowers Recipe Box
Gluten Free Coconut Macaroons
I finally managed to find some organic coconut flour from Trader Joe’s (and for crazy cheap) and found a few recipes on the back of the bag. One was for some coconut macaroons, something I had been craving!